Tuesday, April 12, 2011

How to start an indoor skatepark

As a guide I thought I would break down what a novice would need to do to start a skatepark from scratch.

1. Formulate a plan - how will it work, who will work it, how will you pay your bills, what business structure (tax and liability issues) will you have?

2.  Do some research - Do you even know where you could put a park?  What are the costs per month of the building? taxes? parking? how will people get there?  How many skaters are there, and how many of these will pay to skate?

3. Get your finances in order.  Do you have money?  Do you have enough to exist for 6 months without earning a cent?  How long will you be able to have expenses without making money before things will get stressful?  The longer you can last, the longer you will last. You will need build up time with lots of expenses and no income.  What happens too if people are slow to respond? Plan for the worst case scenario, and work for the best.  Can you spread your own finacial liability out with other investors?

4.  Market before you have anything going.  Start the buzz early.

5.  Plan for a media blitz for when you open, get all the free press you can.  Invite web, print, tv to your place.  Have an "event".

6.  Maximize your revenue.  Don't just rely on skateboarders to pay the bills.  Sell food, stuff, lessons, rentals, private park hours, party rooms, party events, christian events, before and after school events, camps, demos, advertisements, group lessons, what every you can.  There is no shame in making this business work by selling things, this is your business, you have to pay yourself, your taxes, lights, sewer, trash, etc.

7.  Keep it clean, think of the parents.  Parents want a safe place for their kids, they are the ones footing the cost of this place.  Make them happy with a nice place to watch, use the rest room, read whatever.  Sell them things while they are there.

8.  Network - skateshops, other parks, parks departments, community service, police, whomever can help you get people in the door.

9.  Keep good track of your expenses.  This takes time and effort.  Make sure you have a good system to record data for you, what sells, what doesn't, who comes, who doesn't.  Use your data to improve your business.

10.  Hire good people who are kind yet firm about helping you stay in business.  Free only means you paid, not them.  You aren't competing with free, free offers nothing but ramps and rails, you offer lights, food, supervision, air conditioning, heat, a phone, a pair of eyes that are ready to help if someone is hurt. This is worth money and people need to understand this.

11.  Free yourself to do business things - If you are spending all your time at the park, hire someone to help you do the things you need to do.  Spend some money.  Is your money better spent hiring someone to man the front, or design an advertisement?

12. Celebrate your members!  Make them want to belong!

11 comments:

  1. I have a book on the subject, this is a blog. Buy the book for a complete plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Todd McGuire
    The Skate Park Owner s Manual: Your Guide to Building and Running a Public or Private Skate Park

    Amazon.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very grateful to Elegant loan firm for helping me get a $ 600,000 loan with the helping of loan officer Russ Harry, and I will always be grateful. My life has changed, my money has been paid, I now own a business that I used to support my family. I am grateful to you, Mr. Russ, and God bless you. You can contact them for your financial assistance by e-mail: Elegantloanfirm@hotmail.com for your financial assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello everyone, I'm Patricia Sherman in Oklahoma USA right now. I would like to share with you my experience of borrowing USD $185,000.00 to clear my bank draft and start a new business. It all started when I lost my house and I took my stuff because of the bank policy and I met some bills and some personal needs. So I became very desperate and started looking for funds in every way. Fortunately for me, a friend of mine, Linda told me about a credit company firm, I was intrigued by the fraud, but I was intrigued by my situation and had no choice but to get advice from my friend about this company. contacting them really doubted me because of my past experience with online lenders, did you know that little? '' Elegantloanfirm@hotmail.com This company has been very helpful to me and my colleague and today, thanks to this credit company, the proud owner of well-organized work and responsibilities, they smiled back at me. So if you really need to grow or start your own business, or if you really need to borrow money in any financial hardship, we recommend you find a financial development opportunity in your business today. {E-mail:} Elegantloanfirm@hotmail.com / whats-app number +393511617486.... online for credit not a victim of scam Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOW I GO MY DESIRED LOAN AMOUNT FROM A RELIABLE AND TRUSTED LOAN COMPANY LAST WEEK Email for immediate response: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com Call/Text: +1(646)820-1981 Whatsapp +19292227023 Visit their website and believe yourself Company Website: https://capitalmanage-inc.com/

    Hello everyone, My name is Mr.Justin Riley Johnson, I am from Texas, United State, am here to testify of how i got my loan from BENJAMIN LOAN INVESTMENTS (drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com) after i applied Two times from various loan lenders who claimed to be lenders right here this forum,i thought their lending where real and i applied but they never gave me loan until a friend of mine introduce me to {Dr.Benjamin Scarlet Owen} the C.E.O of BENJAMIN LOAN INVESTMENTS who promised to help me with a loan of my desire and he really did as he promised without any form of delay, I never thought there are still reliable loan lenders until i met {Dr.Benjamin Scarlet Owen}, who really helped me with my loan and changed my life for the better. I don't know if you are in need of an urgent loan also, So feel free to contact Dr.Benjamin Scarlet Owen on his email address: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com BENJAMIN LOAN INVESTMENTS holds all of the information about how to obtain money quickly and
    painlessly via Whatsapp +19292227023 Email: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    And consider all your financial problems tackled and solved. Share this to help a soul right now, Thanks
    Visit their website and believe yourself Company Website:https://capitalmanage-inc.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. HOW I GOT MY DESIRED LOAN AMOUNT FROM A RELIABLE AND TRUSTED LOAN COMPANY LAST WEEK Email for immediate response: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com Call/Text: +1(646)820-1981 Whatsapp +19292227023 Visit their website and believe yourself Company Website: https://capitalmanage-inc.com/

    Hello everyone, My name is Mr.Justin Riley Johnson, I am from Texas, United State, am here to testify of how i got my loan from BENJAMIN LOAN INVESTMENTS (drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com) after i applied Two times from various loan lenders who claimed to be lenders right here this forum,i thought their lending where real and i applied but they never gave me loan until a friend of mine introduce me to {Dr.Benjamin Scarlet Owen} the C.E.O of BENJAMIN LOAN INVESTMENTS who promised to help me with a loan of my desire and he really did as he promised without any form of delay, I never thought there are still reliable loan lenders until i met {Dr.Benjamin Scarlet Owen}, who really helped me with my loan and changed my life for the better. I don't know if you are in need of an urgent loan also, So feel free to contact Dr.Benjamin Scarlet Owen on his email address: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com BENJAMIN LOAN INVESTMENTS holds all of the information about how to obtain money quickly and
    painlessly via Whatsapp +19292227023 Email: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    And consider all your financial problems tackled and solved. Share this to help a soul right now, Thanks
    Visit their website and believe yourself Company Website:https://capitalmanage-inc.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will always advice, that when you want to trade, you should seek the assistance of a well trained personnel. I've been trading with Samira and it would be selfish of me, if i don't recommend them. With their well guarded signals and forever active strategies i have been able to make over 11,200USD weekly
    Whatsap:+1(512)943-2328

    ReplyDelete